Monday, April 07, 2008

Goodbye, Mr. Heston


Charles Heston's passing is one more marker of cultural decline. Where are the days when movie stars were 6' 3" and loved to hunt in their free time? He was a little before my time, but my parents were wise enough to raise me on real-man role models. Every Easter growing up, I saw this guy tell Yul Brenner--a pretty tough guy himself--to repent or be destroyed, and I watched him open a can of whoop ass on a golden calf. (Only later did I ask myself, "Why is the whole country watching Moses' story on a day when we're celebrating Jesus' resurrection?").

On the other side of the cultural divide, my female teachers, and female classmates later on tried to turn me into a woman with a penis, and it might have worked if the conditioning hadn't run up against the image of a Man--someone who looked something like Charlton Heston.

So, in his honor I just watched him kick ass with a chariot in Ben Hur. You should also check out Touch of Evil if you haven't already. A fine movie with a fine actor.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:27 AM

    Ron,

    I think the cultural "typing" of hero-males changing from the Charlton Heston's, the Clark Gable's, the John Wayne's, Gary Cooper's, and Errol Flynn's is very deliberate. Hollywood likes to parade girly "pretty" men before us and tell us that these are the perfect male prototypes. Would you really want to go into battle with Tom Cruise (all 5-6' or so of him) or Charlton Heston? I know who'd I'd pick.

    According to Hollywood, there are no large, proud, loud, intelligent, alpha white males, but experience out there in the world tells me otherwise and that Jefferson's "natural aristocracy of men" is still alive. Feminism, of course, hates this. Screw em'. Men built this country, not professors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:05 AM

    >>Only later did I ask myself, "Why is the whole country watching Moses' story on a day when we're celebrating Jesus' resurrection?"

    Did you ever come up with an answer?

    ReplyDelete

Are gun owners mentally ill?

  Some anti-gun people think owning a gun is a sign of some kind of mental abnormality. According to General Social Survey data, gun owners ...