Monday, June 15, 2009


The Hangover: Speaking of funny, I saw "The Hangover" this weekend and laughed myself silly. Yes, I know it's wild and vulgar, but funny is funny.

There are two kinds of funny movies: funny-stupid and funny-clever. When I say clever, I don't mean some intelligent message. That's asking too much. I mean creative and well-crafted like Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm." This movie is funny-clever.

If you're sensitive about vulgarity, skip the photos that are shown during the credits. Depraved guy that I am, I can take just about whatever is thrown at me, but Zach Galifianakis' erect penis was a bit much.

9 comments:

  1. Ron Smith-terrestrial radio's only known paleoconservative talk show host-called it the funniest movie he'd seen in years today on
    WBAL-AM Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was pretty funny, but not the funniest in years. Recent ones much funnier:

    Knocked up
    Superbad
    Harold and Kumar (the first)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frat humor for me is generally hit or miss (Old School sucked, but I loved the 2/3 of Wedding Crashers), but this movie has been getting incredible buzz.

    It doesn't have Will Ferrell (can someone's entire career jump the shark?), so I'll probably see it. I'm actually quite surprised none of the usual suspects are behind it, like Stiller, Judd Apatow, Ferrell, Owen Wilson, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ JA:

    Harold and Kumar 1 is in the running for the second best comedy I've seen behind the seminal "Dumb and Dumber".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:09 AM

    OneSTDV said...

    Watch these:

    Kentucky Fried Movie

    Top Secret

    ReplyDelete
  6. The White Detroiter11:15 AM

    I probably will see this. In your post you mention the term - "funny stupid". What would be an example of funny stupid to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What would be an example of funny stupid to you?"

    Groucho is classic funny-clever. The Three Stooges are classic funny-stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Galifianakis mentioned in an interview that the penis seen in the ending photos was actually a prothesis.

    ReplyDelete

Are gun owners mentally ill?

  Some anti-gun people think owning a gun is a sign of some kind of mental abnormality. According to General Social Survey data, gun owners ...