Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Counting heads on television: I sometimes like to keep the TV on just for the noise, and today I noticed that Glenn Beck was doing his show at one of these tea parties at the Alamo in San Antonio. Aha, I said--an opportunity for empiricism. I spent the last 30 minutes counting heads as the camera panned the crowd of perhaps a thousand. Results? I found women in the crowd, I even saw a few black guys. Who could I not find? At a rally for limited goverment and patriotism, I could not find a single Hispanic man or woman.

Well maybe San Antonio just doesn't have any Hispanics.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:59 PM

    Also on the news today were all kinds of stories regarding "Right Wing Extremists!" Apparently there's been a rise in "Hate Groups?" Meanwhile at University of North Caroline Tom Tancredo had his right to free speech denied by "protesters." Apparently these "protesters" were not "extremists?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Yup, Hispanics are SO damn easy to spot: dark little mestizos, every single one of them. No diversity in Latin America at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yup, Hispanics are SO damn easy to spot: dark little mestizos, every single one of them. No diversity in Latin America at all!"

    Fundamentally dishonest or suffering from myopia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:26 PM

    Another opportunity for these kind of empirical observations is coming up soon.

    Attend your local community's Earth Day festivities and see if the crowd roughly approximates the local ethnic demographics.

    Based on my own personal observations dating back six years or so, I'd be surprised if they were signifcantly different from that of the 1964 GOP Convention.

    But I'm sure that my bias is responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One or two Latinos managed to make it to those immigration rallies.

    ReplyDelete

Are gun owners mentally ill?

  Some anti-gun people think owning a gun is a sign of some kind of mental abnormality. According to General Social Survey data, gun owners ...