Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Church attendance and number of close friends

Since beginning to go to church in 2004, I find that I have a lot more friends. By nature, I'm a lone wolf who would spend all my time in a corner with a book if I had my way. Church pushes me to be social which is good for me. Heck, I'm even on the parish council now, so I can pretend to have leadership skills. Plus my friends are always hooking me up with great stuff. Even liberals admit that this form of non-governmental social capital is good for society. 

But is this a general phenomenon?  My situation is peculiar because most of my colleagues (professors) are not my kind of people, so I don't make many friends at work.   

As usual, the GSS enlightens us. Here are the mean number of close friends by church attendance:

Mean number of close friends (sample size = 1,463)

Never attends 6.44
Less than once a year 7.25
Once a year 7.21
Several times a year 5.83
Once a month 6.74
Two to three times a month 7.49
Nearly every week 9.89
Every week 7.90
More than once a week 9.25

Number of close friends tends to rise with attendance. I'm not alone.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Maybe extraverts are more likely to attend. I am mildly introverted, attend at least once a week and have almost zero close friends. I have many casual friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I have the same experience as you work-wise, depressingly, I find that the people I meet at church are also not really my kind of people. There just are not that many smart, bookish, falafel-eating, right-wing lunatic Catholics out there. Grumble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:32 PM

    Church didn't help me get friends. It isolated me even more-ruined my life.

    ReplyDelete

Are gun owners mentally ill?

  Some anti-gun people think owning a gun is a sign of some kind of mental abnormality. According to General Social Survey data, gun owners ...