Sunday, August 28, 2011

Richard Lynn's second revised edition of Dysgenics

From a review in the journal Intelligence of Richard Lynn's second revised edition of Dysgenics:

The second edition contains two new chapters. The first of these documents the decline of the world's IQ arising from the high fertility of low IQ populations worldwide, compared with the low fertility in high IQ populations. Lynn calculates that the effect of this is that the world's genotypic IQ is deteriorating by 1.3 IQ points a generation. Thus, genetic deterioration of intelligence is taking place both within and across counties.

The second new chapter is concerned with the effects of immigration on the intelligence of the populations of the United States and Western Europe. Lynn argues that most of these immigrants have lower IQs than the host populations and, hence, that as their percentages in the host populations increase, the IQ of the populations will inevitably decline. For the United States he adopts the estimate of the Bureau of the Census that in the year 2050 non-Hispanic whites will be 45% of the population. He calculates that this will entail a decline of 4.4 IQ points of the American IQ over the fifty-year period from 2000 to 2050.

Lynn argues that immigration will also bring about a decline of intelligence throughout Western Europe during the course of the twenty-first century. For Britain, he adopts Coleman's (2010) estimate that the indigenous population will decline to 56% of the population by the year 2056, and the other 44% will consist of largely of South Asians and Africans from the Caribbean and sub-Saharan Africa. He calculates that this demographic change will entail a decline of 2.5 IQ points over the fifty-year period from 2006 to 2056. He calculates that similar declines will take place throughout continental Western Europe.

Looking further into the future, Lynn argues that the percentages of non-Europeans in the populations of the United States and Western Europe will inevitably continue to increase in the second half of the twenty-first century and beyond as a result of their continuing immigration and higher fertility. He argues that this will entail further declines in the IQs of the populations.
Some readers may be disappointed that Lynn does not spell out the geopolitical consequences of this, perhaps because he does not want to appear too controversial, but it must be questionable whether the world leadership of the United States and Western Europe in science, technology and economic development can be retained as the IQs of the populations fall and the populations come to resemble those of most of Latin America, in which European peoples are a minority.


  1. Anonymous8:02 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. Anonymous9:08 PM

    Global IQ: 1950–2050 animation chart:

  3. richard2:32 AM

    Are there any major changes in the other chapters? Or did he just add two new chapters? I have already the old edition, and I don't want to waste money ;)

  4. I don't have the new edition, but the review indicates that in addition to two new chapters facts and arguments are updated. It doesn't sound like there are major changes.


    You can get an e-copy here for about $20.

  6. Ulster Institute1:55 AM

    Please note that the correct URL for purchasing the 2nd edition of Dysgenics is:

  7. How does this jibe with the Flynn effect where scores rise 3 points every decade?

  8. Anonymous11:00 PM

    Oh mу gοodnеss! Amazіng article ԁude!
    Many thanks, However I аm having difficultieѕ with your RSS.
    ӏ ԁοn't understand why I can't joіn
    it. Ιs there anyone else gеtting the samе RЅS issues?
    Anyone thаt knоwѕ thе
    solution can you kindly resроnd? Thankѕ!


    Heгe is mу web-site; califοrnia health insurance plаns ()


Are never-married, childless women happier than married moms?

A piece in the Guardian reported that women are happiest if they stay single and childless, according to research done by London School of ...