Monday, June 18, 2007

I am SO excited about our future crop of cultural leaders! Brett Dennen is one of the newer folk/pop musicians that I listen to on my "Coffeehouse" Internet radio station (I wince at the word "coffeehouse"). He's quite talented, but I think he would sell his mother if he could buy a pill that would turn him black. He reserves his admiration for Mumia Abu-Jamal types: Malcolm X probably wouldn't qualify since he didn't kill enough white people. Here's one of Dennen's choice lyrics from "There is So Much More":

"...I wondered how so many could be in so much pain,
While others don't seem to feel a thing,
Then I curse my whiteness and I get so damned depressed,
In a world of suffering why should I be so blessed..."

Don't worry too much, Brett: with young people like you, we white folks will be suffering soon enough.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:06 PM

    Poor kid is wracked with guilt. Sounds like he just needs a good old fashioned X-on-white beating at the hands of one of those romanticized not-tainted-by-whiteness groups. Naturally he didn't have the opportunity for this from growing up in lilly-white Oakdale, CA. But I can recommend some choice spots not far away in Oakland where this could be quickly accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:37 PM

    He hasn't cut his wrists yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Naturally he didn't have the opportunity for this from growing up in lilly-white Oakdale, CA.

    According to that link Oakdale's 20% Hispanic. Not what I'd call "lily-white," that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:20 PM

    "According to that link Oakdale's 20% Hispanic. Not what I'd call "lily-white," that's for sure."

    15 years ago, when he was growing up, it probable was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:00 AM

    I don't do 'white guilt'.

    ReplyDelete

Are gun owners mentally ill?

  Some anti-gun people think owning a gun is a sign of some kind of mental abnormality. According to General Social Survey data, gun owners ...